Friday, February 24, 2012

Marinara Sauce

   It is going to be a long day and night.  My husband is working an event tonight.  It is lunch time now and I am really craving some of my homemade marinara sauce instead of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich that we packed for lunch.
   I had never made my own sauce before.  My whole family makes it and my dad just recently started making his.. which is soooo amazing.  My husband and I decided it was our turn to carry on the tradition.  I started with a basic recipe and added spices to taste. Once we grow our tomatoes I am going to try and use those in the sauce.

Ingredients:

2-4 tablespoons olive oil (for sauteing onions and garlic)
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 small onion, chopped (I love onions)
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes (I like a smooth sauce, not chunky tomatoes)
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
2 cups water
1 can black olives, chopped
1 can green olives, chopped
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat in a big pot (about 10 minutes)
2. Add the cans of sauce
3. Add the water
4. Add all the seasonings
5. Stir and bring to a boil
6. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer
7. Stir occasionally

We usually let ours sit all day.. 5-6 hours.  Taste it every half hour or so because you will need to add more seasonings....probably a lot more... lol.  We use so much italian seasoning it isnt funny!  I love this recipe... you really can't go wrong.

We usually make lasagna with the leftovers...
Now I really don't want PB and J!
Hmmm......




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyper Smash